09 / 11 / 2016
The next revision of BS 8888 has now completed its draft stage. Public comments have been addressed. Final editorial tweaks are almost finished. The new standard is expected to be published in December 2016.
Principle changes from BS 8888:2013 –
- The content has been reorganised to make it more accessible, and to flow in a more logical fashion.
- The content has been extended in many areas; the standard is around 50% larger.
- Technical Product Documentation gets more extensive coverage.
- The section on surface texture has far more detail.
- The datum section has been extended to deal with datums based on multiple datum features more thoroughly.
- The geometrical tolerance examples have been moved into the main body of the text.
- The standard is much more ‘3D-aware’ and provides useful guidance on working with 2D drawings, 2D & 3D in combination, as well as 3D-only specifications.
- The standard addresses issues like specification uncertainty that have not previously be covered.